Social Services FAQ

How can I sign up for low-income housing in Wayne?

Wayne Township does not issue low-income housing. Rentals and waiting lists are handled by the property owner or their management team. Some rental properties will place eligible Wayne residents on a waiting list. Some will not, as their waiting list is full. Call the Senior and Social Services Department (973) 694-1800 ext. 3281 for a list of participating low/moderate-income housing contact numbers.

How do I get information about Section 8?

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) sets income limits that determine eligibility for assisted housing programs including Public Housing, Section 8 project-based, Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher, Section 202 housing for the elderly, and Section 811 housing for persons with disabilities programs. HUD develops income limits based on Median Family Income estimates and Fair Market Rent area definitions for each metropolitan area, parts of some metropolitan areas, and each non-metropolitan county.

How do I register for WIC?

The Official WIC program is available to low to moderate-income pregnant women, recently delivered women, breastfeeding women, infants, and children up to age 5 who are at nutrition risk. Fathers can also bring their children to apply for WIC. You may apply for WIC if you are working or unemployed. You must meet income guidelines to be eligible for WIC. Call St. Joseph’s WIC program to register (973) 754-4575 or visit St Joseph’s WIC Program.

Am I eligible to use Wayne Interfaith Network Food Pantry?

If you are a Wayne resident, in need of food, and meet specific financial criteria you may be eligible. Call the Senior and Social Services Department at (973) 694-1800 ext. 3281 for more information.

I need help with my utilities. Where can I go?

Utility bill payment assistance programs are available to low and moderate-income households. Eligibility is based on income. Low-income families can contact Weatherization and Home Energy at The Passaic County Website or call 973-569-4032 for assistance. Families ineligible for low-income assistance can apply for NJ SHARES. NJ SHARES is a safety net for households in an emergency or crisis. Applicants must provide identification, current monthly income, and energy bill information. Visit for specific details about the program. The Social Services Director, 973-694-1800 ext. 3281, can provide information about the application process.

Are there any dental services I can get?

Yes. There are requirements to participate. Contact the Wayne Health Department’s Nursing Department, at 973-694-1800 ext. 3237.

How do I register for the flu clinic? Where and when are they?

Flu Clinics are offered in the fall. To register online, visit the Township of Wayne’s Online Activity Registration Portal and click the “Health Department” icon on the menu bar. Then choose the flu clinic that best fits your schedule.

I need to get rid of old/unused medication. Where can I go?

Project Medicine Drop has two locations in Wayne: The Wayne Police Department, 475 Valley Road, in the Records Lobby, and the Passaic County Sheriff’s Office, 435 Hamburg Turnpike.

I’m a veteran. Where can I get more information about services?

Passaic County Veteran’s Affairs (973) 569-4090.

I need some resources for my senior parent(s), who should I contact?

You can call the Director of Social Services at (973) 694-1800 ext. 3281.

When is the Senior Picnic?

The Senior Picnic is usually held in September at James W. Roe Memorial Pool. Call Parks and Recreation for more information at (973) 694-1800 ext. 3260. You can also check Wayne Township’s Calendar on the website.

How do I participate in the Senior Olympics?

Call the Parks and Recreation Department at (973) 694-1800 ext. 3260.

Where can I get a handicap placard?

Applicants must complete the application form (SP-41), which can then be dropped off at the local Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) agency or mailed to: NJ Motor Vehicle Commission Special Plate Unit, PO Box 015, Trenton, NJ 08666-0015. Applications for temporary placards are available at any local police station or online. A qualified medical practitioner must certify that the applicant qualifies for a temporary placard.

Are there any transportation services I can use?

Yes. The Township offers Wayne senior citizens bus transport services to local sites on predetermined routes. Call (973) 694-1800 ext. 3260.

The Passaic County Para Transit Program provides transportation for the county’s senior citizens and disabled residents in need of non-emergency rides to medical appointments, shopping centers, county-run nutrition, and adult day care sites, and for disabled residents to attend group work programs. Call (973) 305-5756.

NJ Transit has local stops in Wayne, as well as a transportation hub on Route 23 North. For more information call 1-800-275-5555 for operator assistance 8:30 AM to 5 PM daily, and automated 24 hours/day.

NJ Transit Access Link is a public transportation service established to comply with the paratransit regulations of the ADA. Access Link is for people with disabilities who are unable to use the local fixed-route bus for some or all of their rides. Call Access Link ADA 973-491-4224 or visit

How do I donate to the food pantry?

You can drop off food at drop-off box locations in the Wayne Health Department lobby or the pantry itself on 1 Pike Drive. To learn more about the pantry and its changing needs visit:

Does Wayne Township loan out or accept donations of crutches, walkers, or wheelchairs?


I’d like to donate eyeglasses - where can I go?

The Lion’s Club has a yellow collection box in the parking lot of Sheffield Post Office, 150 Pompton Plains Cross Road, Wayne, NJ.

How do I register for Health Department Exercise Programs such as “Lookin’ Good” or Qigong?

Visit Wayne Township’s Online Activity Registration Portal and click the Health & Fitness button or call (973) 694-1800 ext. 3281.

Free exercise videos are also available on the Township’s website, on Thursdays at 2 PM during Age-Friendly Wayne Health & Wellness program.

When are the SMAC blood screenings offered?

SMAC Blood Screenings are usually offered in April and October of each year. Individuals can register via Civic Rec, the online payment system, or by calling the Department of Senior and Social Services at 973-694-1800 extension 3281. Pre-registration and payment are required prior to participation.

Where do I go to learn about welfare?

Welfare is issued through Passaic County Board of Social Services, 80 Hamilton Street, Paterson, NJ. Wayne families and or individuals seeking assistance, such as SNAP (food stamps), General Assistance (cash assistance), and health insurance can apply online at For more information or for questions about eligibility call 973-881-0100. Hours of operation are 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM.

Town Hall

475 Valley Road
Wayne, NJ 07470
Weekdays 8:30am-4:30pm
Tuesdays open until 7:00 pm
Sat & Sun: Closed
Closed on State Holidays

Wayne DPW Complex

201 Dey Road
Wayne, NJ 07470
Weekdays 7:00am-3:30pm
Sat & Sun: Closed
Closed on State Holidays